Why “Labs”? These are hands-on, learning-by-doing, instructional labs, taught by Local’s chefs and our friends. You handle, chop, slice, smell, and cook. And we encourage you eat your homework.
In our labs, though we will give you recipes, we want you to learn the skills, tools, and methods to cook with whatever the farmers market and your pantry offers. Each class will include a balance of demonstration and practice: Observe Jake and then pair-up and do it yourselves. We will provide all equipment and utensils. Of course, you cannot learn how to cook without tasting, so there will always be chef’s treats.
On the calendar, you’ll see five class types:
1) How to Cook- Method driven, necessary learning for cooks at any level.
2) Farm to Table - One ingredient–How to select and several preparations from raw to cooked.
3) Pantry to Table - Build a pantry (preserved, frozen, or dried) from which you can create slow and deep flavors in short order.
4) Guest Chef - We’ve invited some of San Francisco’s best chefs to teach their specialities.
5) Nose to Tail- Once a month, Jake will breakdown a whole goat or lamb. Watch the method, learn all of the cuts and his tips on cooking them, and, yes, taste dishes from freshly butchered meat.
For detailed class descriptions and to register see the the Calendar.